We are getting closer to the weekend, folks! I made something new last night and wanted to share it… I am trying to get more creative here.
Last night I was feeling inspired to FINALLY make some sort of protein pancake. Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? I am really trying to make a better habit of cooking more and venturing out to new things. All too often I fall in the same ruts of eating veggies and some kind of protein for lunch/dinner. Now don’t get me wrong, that is obviously a good way to eat, but I keep reading all these blogs out there with some amazing recipes. Time to step it up! So breakfast for dinner it was last night…and it turned out pretty good!
I found the recipe from Tina @ Carrots N Cake, and also Athena @ Fitness & Feta made this also. The recipe and it’s simplicity appealed to me most. It wasn’t too many ingredients and were all things I could easily access at Stop N Shop on my way home from work. Sometimes pankcake recipes overwhelm me, but since I love oatmeal and greek yogurt so much, I knew this would be “Eva Friendly”, ha. I quadrupled Tina’s pancake recipe because Nick told me he was super hungry, but only double the apple/topping part, and I figured I would be able to eat more than the individual serving anyways.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1cup plain Greek yogurt
- A dash of vanilla extract (I had just a tiny bit left so threw that in.. definitely could have used more)
- Several shakes of cinnamon; didn’t measure
- 2 packets of Stevia – I added this because I like things a bit sweeter especially when using plain greek yogurt.
- 2 medium apple
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2/3 cup water
- lots of shakes of cinnamon
1. Cut up the apple into small squares and put into a saucepan. Add lemon juice, water, and cinnamon. Cook in medium heat until all water runs off. This was probably a good 10-12 minutes.
2. While the apples are cooking, mix together the pancake ingredients in a medium sized bowl since I did 4x the recipe.
3. Pre-heat a skillet or big frying pan with cooking spray, and leave on medium heat (watch for heat, I definitely had it up too high and burned them a bit). Poor in pancake batter, let sit a minute or two (honestly I didn’t time it, so don’t quote me on time) and then flip.
- I ended up breaking out a 2nd frying pan since we had so much batter to cook & we were HUNGRY 🙂
4. Once done, take however many pancakes you want and top with apples. I also put crunchY PB & SF Maple Syrup on mine
- Nick and I each had 2.5 medium sized ones, and there was still one left over we did not eat.. so we done did good 🙂
These were pretty good & it made several pancakes! I was definitely happy with how they came out for my first time making them, and I am pretty confident the second time would be even better.
- Add more Vanilla Extract
- Add a bit more stevia if making another large batch like I made this one
- Lower the heat… pan was too hot and they were burning quickly
- Get creative with toppings! I want to do a banana-ish/blueberry type one next time
So that is it for Thursday. I am beat! Work has been so busy and I had a great Zumba class tonight, too. We worked hard…everyone seems to be loving my new playlist I did for Tuesday’s class. I absolutely cannot wait to teach at the Master Class July 27th! Call Me Maybe is a HIT! Who knew? It’s not as intense as Starships, the warm-up I have been doing for a while, but I think it has been good to start with a slower song so then we can push it more with the songs following it. Either way, I love a good-high-energy-class. Thank you to all my students who are reading this!
Anyway, tomorrow will be another random “Friday Ramblings” post; I had such a good blackened chicken salad at lunch today, I want to share it. I also like to set goals for myself before the weekend comes. I, for the most part, have it all together when I go to an all day BBQ, and I stick to my usual eats, etc, and feel good. But there are just SOMETIMES when I completely have the all or nothing approach, and totally over-do it. I have an all day event Saturday that I need to get my A-game on. So expect some thoughts on that, as well.
Stay tuned 🙂
What is everyone’s favorite protein pancake recipe? Please share!