Almost Friday, Everyone! Good plans for the weekend and 4th of July?
The title of this post says it all. I am going to be honest about a bad habit (or may not be so bad in some of your guys’ opinions): Coffee. Let’s keep it simple – I only drink it black with occasionally some cinnamon sprinkled in. I slowly weaned myself from adding Splenda (GASP!) and cream or milk to just drinking it straight up BLACK! Hey you know what they say lol. I do actually really like the taste of coffee so I guess that’s why this isn’t hard for me.
With all of this said, I hate drinking water. I don’t know what it is but I just have a hard time doing it. And the fact that I have to run to the bathroom every 2 minutes is a real inconvenience at work (I work in an office). Sometimes I am lazy and hate getting up from my desk! Real good health coach I am right?! So instead of water, I drink decaf coffee mostly throughout the day. Here and there I mix it with some regular coffee when I feel I need a boost. I also like that it’s hot – it takes me longer to drink and I just enjoy it. I know a lot of people get jittery from coffee but another reason I can stand to drink it all day is that does not happen to me. I love my coffee, what can I say.
Like I said, I love drinking coffee with Cinnamon. Cinnamon on its own has a lot of health benefits. Just a half a teaspoon per day can can reduce blood sugar levels, decrease triglycerides, and lower cholesterol. Cinnamon slows the rate at which the stomach empties, so that not only keeps blood sugar levels more stabilized, but you feel fuller longer. Other benefits include reducing inflammation, improved memory and brain function, easing stiffness in muscles & joints, and stimulate blood circulation (source).
I am also weird and drink my coffee through a straw. I was once told your teeth will stay whiter if you do this…so ever since then, it has stuck. I honestly do not notice a difference, though. If anything, my teeth definitely are more yellow. Boo.
To further plead my case that this is ok, here are 7 health benefits of coffee: Source
1. Coffee (Or At Least, The Caffeine!) Can Help You Proofread Better
2. Coffee Could Lower Women’s Depression Risk: “Women who drink a few cups of caffeinated coffee have a lower risk of depression than women who don’t drink any coffee, according to a Harvard study.
3. Coffee Could Save Your Brain, ie, reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease
4. Coffee Could Lower Men’s Prostate Cancer Risk: Just one to three cups can lower prostate cancer risk by 30%.
5. Coffee Could Ward Off The World’s Most Common Cancer: “New research presented at the American Association for Cancer Research conference shows that coffee could help to ward off basal cell carcinoma, the most common cancer in the world.”
6. Coffee Could Protect You From Type 2 Diabetes: Increased coffee consumption is linked to a greater decrease in risk.
7. Coffee Could Decrease Parkinson’s Risk: Drinking just a few cups has the ability to reduce risk of 25%.
SO that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it. Just about ran out of my coffee so need to get more…